York Minster’s tantalising archaeological find

I read a lot of historical fiction. A lot of historical fiction. To the point that it’s almost exclusively what I read. I’d say roughly 85% of what I read is historical fiction. The other 15% is divided between mysteries, thrillers (not horror) and Jasper Fforde. Within the historical fiction I read, most of it is set in either England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland and is most definitely set in the Middle Ages. One of my absolute favourite authors – Jules Watson – writes about the time before Rome even set foot on the Isle. Another favourite author is Bernard Cornwell who has a series set during the time of Alfred the Great when the Vikings were still around and settling down. Since the city of York has been around since the Roman occupation (as has most of the major cities of England) it’s become somewhat of a fondness of mine and a place I’d like to visit on one of my trips across the pond. Of course anything historical in the news about York is something worth noting. So I decided to post about this discovery at York Minster…

When the great west doors of York Minster swing open on Thursday and the Queen makes her way along the nave of the packed church for the ancient service of distributing Maundy Money, she will also be walking towards a small pit from which human bones have been pouring by the barrow load, the remains of some of the earliest Christians to worship on the site.

Tantalising finds include 30 skulls and a jumble of bones used to backfill a trench by the medieval builders of the present cathedral, and a man whose stone-lined and lidded grave was chopped off by Walter de Gray’s 13th-century walls, leaving only his shins and feet in place.

Full story care of The Guardian

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s