British/American Clothing Confusion

I always find it amusing to learn of the different names Americans and English have for the same article of clothing. This article I found on the BBC America blog points out just how amusing and confusing it can be.

trainers vs. sneakers

braces vs. suspenders

fancy dress party vs. costume party

shirt vs. button down

jumper/pullover vs. sweater/jersey

trousers vs. pants

bum bag vs. fanny pack

I know that what we American women refer to as a wallet is a purse in England and that what we call a purse is just a bag over there. At least I think that’s how it goes. So what do British women call the accessory which holds their cash, credit cards, etc.? Anyone?


BBCA article


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s